Wednesday 11 January 2012

Looking for photographers using text

I just found Jim Goldberg on the internet, I've been looking for artists working with text like me.
I don't really understand the meaning in his work although he works with under mediated populations.
 The photo below depicts the painter Nell Sinton who seems to see her status and wealth as an obstruction. Personally I'd say most people consider money at least to be a source of freedom which, whether fair or not, empowers us to follow the path of our choosing unobstructed by cost.

I guess after looking at a bit more of his work it feels like he want to give a voice to those that we find easy to ignore or chose to because their stories upset our peaceful lives. There are adverts on television all of the time that are telling some of the same stories as his work but we look away. A still image is less confrontational somehow which gives it time to get the message across without us changing the channel or walking away.


No comments:

Post a Comment