Tuesday 19 April 2011

Finally I watch Factotum

It's been sitting with the rest of the DVDs for ages so now I'm finally watching it. Based of the book by Charles Bukowski and presumably Bukowski's life as a writer. I like that he bullshits his way through all the interviews. He does what would be the most boring jobs if they kept him for any length of time. The introduction to the other writer in the pickle factory office is ridiculously awkward. "And then I met Janet. I bought her a drink and she gave me her phone number. Three days later I moved into her apartment." I like that instead of stealing a car they just take the cigarettes from it. He sees there was a fire and just goes back to sleep. Janet provokes his violence at the racetrack and seems to enjoy it.She didn't last. The new woman seems obsessed with murder. Why doesn't his mother sit at the table with him and his father? Nice job of getting thrown out of his parents home. And then Janet is back in the picture. "I came home one night and she had moved in with me." I like that he gives her his shoes so she doesn't have to walk in heels. I like his friend from the daily work centre. There's nothing climactic about the end but for some reason it doesn't seem like a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment