Thursday 16 February 2012

Yayoi Kusama

People in the class were talking about her a few days ago and I just found an article about her on The Guardian site, her stuff is mostly sculptural which doen't interest me as much as her Infinately Mirrored Room which uses almost exactly the sort of visual extention I want to create with normal and two way mirrors for an infinite landscape possible to have as a piece on its own or to use as a photographic set piece.


I would love to create something with that aesthetic quality for the degree show if I can only find affordable sources for the materials. Apparently she was the it girl of the New York art scene in the 50's and 60's but decided to check herself into the mental hospital back in Japan as the 60's and the atmosphere of the era ended.

http://inhabitat.com/infinity-mirror-room-yayoi-kusama-unveils-spectacular-space-lit-by-hundreds-of-leds/infinitymirroredroom-yayoi-kusama2/?extend=1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/feb/12/yayoi-kusama-tate-modern-review

1 comment:

  1. hi my name is Sandra, I use to study at Grays also I was propbably in your year, anyway about your degree show, I know a student artist who resently wanted the same effect, she used this rolled material the is used for car windows, after it was stuck down her room when on and on like infinity. I will find out the exact name of the material for you. Then maybe you could try it out .her piece looked amazing,

    ReplyDelete